Sunday, October 11, 2009

Who are the wild things for?

With all the Where The Wild Things Are hype over the last few months I found this article surprisingly honest. 

Do children even like this book? 

I pitched it to two five year old children during a Nurturing Narratives session a few weeks ago and to be frank, they weren't thrilled. I thought it had more to do with the familiarity of the text than anything else but perhaps I was wrong. The story is beautiful, rich and symbolically telling...not necessarily the primary things to catch a child's eye. I imagine many, many children will still trek in droves to see the movie (next week?) but I also believe people from my generation could be the primary target. 

What do you think? Those of you parents out there...who loves the book more, you or your children? 


4 comments:

  1. Well, I haven't actually read it to Sophia yet, but I remember loving it as a child. Don't know. I'll let you know what she thinks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book freaked my daughter out. Even when she was older, she didn't like it. Personally, I find it boring and without Sendak's usual "zing." I much prefer In the Night Kitchen. Give me Mickey over Max any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prof! Welcome! You know I've never read In the Night Kitchen? I'm on it now!

    Bethany-- I can't wait to hear what Sophia thinks. Actually, I can't wait for her to be old enough to read Eloise :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid Where the Wild Things Are both frightened and fascinated me. I remember wanting my mom to read it over and over, yet at the same time being terrified and having nightmares. The characters are pleasant but retain that odd "creep" to them...I still love them and will certainly get the book for my son :)

    ReplyDelete